Offering 2 different AFS CalNeva Travel Grants
1) Individual Travel Grant
The AFS California Nevada Chapter (CalNeva) Travel Award provides monetary awards for a deserving student or young professional (within 5 years graduation) applicants to support their attendance of conferences, annual meetings, or workshops.
Any member of the AFS who is active in fisheries, environmental sciences and management, or related aquatic disciplines is eligible to apply. Established CalNeva Executive Committee members will select up to two awardees. Selection is based on academic qualifications, professional service, reasons for travel, and activities that are supportive of mission and goals of AFS. Criteria for selection will differ to applicants that are AFS members of good standing, who are presenting their research, and establish financial need. Travel support of $500.00 will be made available to the successful applicant for the Cal-Neva Chapter Annual Meeting.
There are two parts to the application. The applicant fills out the Applicant Form (Part I) of the form. Part II of the application is a separate document and should be completed by the applicant’s academic advisor or employer. The advisor/employer will need to send Part II of the form separately from the applicant. Both part I (professional form) and part II (employer form) of the completed application must be received no later than March 3, 2017 at 5:00pm PST. Note that part I and II of the application are separate documents. Limit all answers to the space provided. Additional material will not be considered in evaluating applicants. Please complete the form and email the form as an attachment to the Travel Grant Chair, Shawn Acuña, email@example.com.
Please download both Part I and Part II of the travel grant application here.
2) Student Subunit Travel Grant
In an effort to allow more students to attend and participate in the meeting, there are some additional funds available for student subunits. Please see the instructions and terms below. If your subunit would like to submit a proposal, please respond by March 3rd.
Sub-unit Support Grant Proposal Guidance:
- Please provide a current list of students attending, and whether they are presenting (title, session or poster).
- The cash grant for lodging will be available, but it is expected that students will share rooms. Lodging is also available for volunteers, but is limited to 4 rooms. Please note if lodging will be needed. Recipients will be responsible to work with Felipe La Luz (Felipe.LaLuz@wildlife.ca.gov) to coordinate rooms.
- Cal-Neva student grant recipients are expected to volunteer at least 6 hours over the meeting period. We have a limit of 25 volunteers. Please coordinate with Claire Ingel (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Travel grants will be paid to subunit in 2 parts: half upon notice of award, and remaining half at end of meeting once volunteer work has been verified.
- Food costs standardized at $25/day (note that you will have banquet dinner on Wednesday night).
- Subunits are required to provide a Pisces/website newsletter article including names of all students attending, student presenters and titles, description of activities at the meeting, and photos. We encourage your creativity! Facebook postings and tweets during the meeting would be great. Please coordinate with Laurie or newsletter editor (Dylan Stompe or other designee).
- All proposals are due by March 3rd and should be submitted to the President, Joe Merz (email@example.com) and President-Elect, Laurie Earley (firstname.lastname@example.org)