1) Special Projects and Events
AFS Cal-Neva Donations and Sponsorships for Special Projects and Events. The AFS Cal-Neva Chapter may donate funds toward special projects, and contribute funds toward special events. Such projects and events must be aligned with the Cal-Neva Chapter mission, and may include meetings, workshops, and projects. For further information, please see the Request for Donations or Sponsorship Form. All sponsorships and donations must be approved by the AFS Cal-Neva Executive Committee prior to their being awarded. Executive Committee Meetings are usually held on a monthly basis. Therefore, it is recommended that any request for sponsorship or contributions be submitted at least 2 months prior to the event to allow adequate time for approval and dispersal of funds.
2) Individual Travel Grants
AFS Cal-Neva Semi-Annual Travel Grants 2018 – The AFS California-Nevada Chapter (Cal-Neva) Semi Annual Travel Award provides monetary awards for deserving students or young professional applicants to support their attendance of conferences, annual meetings, or workshops.
Any member of the AFS who is active in fisheries, environmental sciences and management, or related aquatic disciplines is eligible to apply. The Cal-Neva Executive Committee members will select up to two awardees. Selection is based on academic qualifications, professional service, and reasons for travel. Criteria for selection will differ for applicants that are AFS members of good standing, who are presenting their research or attending trainings essential to their development, and establish financial need. Travel support of up to $750.00 will be made available for up to two successful applicants for the 2nd half of 2018. In addition, all awardees must submit an article to the AFS newsletter, Pisces, summarizing the event which was identified for being the reason for travel no later than 1 month after the event.
There are two parts to the application. The applicant fills out Part I of the form. Part II of the application is a separate document and should be completed by the applicant’s academic advisor or employer. The advisor/employer will need to send Part II of the form separately from the applicant. Completed applications must be received no later than July 20, 2018 at 5:00pm PST.
3) Student Subunit Travel Grant to Cal-Neva Annual Meeting
In an effort to allow more students to attend and participate in the meeting, there are some additional funds available for student subunits. Please see the instructions and terms below. Subunit proposals will be accepted soon, stay tuned!
Sub-unit Support Grant Proposal Guidance:
- Please provide a current list of students attending, and whether they are presenting (title, session or poster).
- The cash grant for lodging will be available, but it is expected that students will share rooms. Lodging is also available for volunteers, but is limited to 4 rooms. Please note if lodging will be needed.
- Cal-Neva student grant recipients are expected to volunteer at least 6 hours over the meeting period. We have a limit of 25 volunteers. Please coordinate with Claire Ingel (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Travel grants will be paid to subunit in 2 parts: half upon notice of award, and remaining half at end of meeting once volunteer work has been verified.
- Food costs standardized at $25/day (note that you will have banquet dinner on Wednesday night).
- Subunits are required to provide a Pisces/website newsletter article including names of all students attending, student presenters and titles, description of activities at the meeting, and photos. We encourage your creativity! Facebook postings and tweets during the meeting would be great. Please coordinate with Laurie or newsletter editor (Lisa Thompson or other designee).
- All proposals should be submitted to the President, Laurie Earley
and President-Elect, Steven Brumbaugh.